Planning & Preparing for Composite Decking
- When deciding the location of your composite decking make sure to consider factors such as privacy, wind, shade, sun light, etc.
- When asking yourself how much decking do I need, always plan your decking to scale. Ensure your measurements are correct both for the composite decking boards and the space available.
- To calculate the area in square meters, simply measure the length and width of the desired area and multiply together. E.g. 4m x 4m = 16 square meters (m2).
- Keep in mind, when planning the width of your composite decking ensure whole board measurements are used to avoid the need to cut and alter deck boards.
- Deck Plus composite decking boards specifications:
- Length: 3.6m
- Thickness: 22mm
- Width: 142mm
- If it is necessary to cut boards. It is recommended that a kerf 40-tooth alternate top bevel finish blade is used to achieve the cleanest cuts.
- If you plan to lay decking boards diagonally, the quantity required will increase. It is recommended an extra 10% is added (depending on design).
- To aid with drainage and water runoff. Please ensure the deck slopes 12.5mm for every 2.4m away from the house.
- Deck Plus can be cantilevered a maximum of 21mm.
Installing Composite Decking
- If there are obstructions in your planned area such as posts, we recommend using a jigsaw to cut around obstructions.
- If you intend to use a powered mitre or compound mitre saw, a fine finish alternate top bevel blade is advised.
- A space of 3-5mm must be left between decking boards when fixing (temperature dependant):
- Below -1 Degrees Celsius – 5mm Gap.
- -1 degrees Celsius to 23 Degrees Celsius - 3mm Gap.
- Above 24 Degrees Celsius – 1mm Gap
- If the decking is against a building a gap of 5mm must be left.
Health & Safety of Decking
- Ensure the composite decking boards are firmly secured when sawing or drilling.
- Take care when installing decking ensure to always wear safety goggles.
- Safety boots are also required at all times.
- The use of protective gloves is recommended when handling and carrying decking boards and trim.
- The weight of each board totals 10kg, be sure to be careful when carrying or ask for support when carrying deck boards.
After Care and Decking Maintenance
- Due to the eco-friendly materials used in Deck Plus, this removes the need to seal the decking and eliminates the need to annually treat the decking.
- To maintain our Deck Plus range simply jet wash or wipe over to maintain its appearance.